St. Andrews, Fife | 18 holes | Links | Par: 71 | 6625 yards
The "New" Course of St Andrews is hardly new. Over 100 years old, The New Course is one of the finest golf courses in the world today. Why the name? The St Andrews Trust came up with the name merely to distinguish it from the "Old" Course.
Opened in April 1895, the course was built in response to increasing demand for golf at St Andrews, both from locals and from the visitors who were flocking to the town in increasing numbers on the recently constructed railway.
The construction of the New Course was paid for the Royal and Ancient Golf Club as part of an arrangement under which the club was allocated the right to certain starting times on the Old Course. These arrangements were enshrined in the first Act of Parliament concerning the Links which was passed in 1894 and was the forerunner of the current Act of 1974 which specifies how the links are to be run.
The R&A engaged W Hall Blyth, an Edinburgh civil engineer, to design the New Course, and entrusted the layout to "Old" Tom Morris
The result is a classic links course which uses the natural features of the land to create a first class golfing challenge. The course has the traditional out and back layout, with the 18th green just to the right of the first tee. It also has, in the great St Andrews tradition, shared fairways and even a double green at the 3rd and 15th holes.
It has frequently been said that if the New Course were not situated next to the Old, then its star would have shone with a far greater degree of brilliance.
It's a shame in many ways that such a great course has to be in the shadow of an illustrious neighbor. The New Course at St Andrews is a golf experience for the ages.
Directions: Directions from Edinburgh and the south to St Andrews: Travel north on the M90 over the Forth Bridge. Leave the Motorway at Junction 3 and follow the A92 to its junction with the A914 north of Glenrothes. Take the A914 to the next roundabout, turn right and continue on the A91 through Cupar to St Andrews.
Par, yardages and course ratings
At same facility
At a glance
- Holes: 18
- Designed by: Old Tom Morris
- Type: Public
- Style: Links
- Built in: 1895
- Golf Season: Low 11/1-2/29; High 4/18-10/16
- Visitor Policy: Welcomed
- Tee times welcomed: Yes
- Driving range: Yes
- Putting green: Yes
- Teaching pro: Yes
- Golf school / golf academy: Yes
- Pro: Yes
- Rental clubs: Yes
- Rental carts: Yes - medical certificate required
- Pull carts: Yes
- Week days: £37 - £75
- Weekends: £37 - £75
Fife KY16 9SF