Jubilee golf course in St. Andrews stands the test of time
ST. ANDREWS, Scotland -- The Jubilee Course in St. Andrews is one of seven courses operated by the St. Andrews Links Trust.
Located in the heart of town and playing beside West Sands Beach and the River Eden, the Jubilee dates back to 1897. It originally opened as a 12-hole golf course intended for women, but it has been altered numerous times. In 1989, it reopened as an 18-hole championship layout designed by Donald Steel. The course plays 6,742 yards and in 2004 was the venue for the qualifying rounds of the Amateur Championship. It also alternates with the New Course in St. Andrews to host qualifying rounds for the St. Andrews Links Trophy.
The first seven holes on the Jubilee play out in the same direction, often with the wind at your back, before the majority of the course plays back home. A par 72, there are back-to-back par 5s that play parallel one another on the back nine, holes 11 and 12. There are four sets of tees on the Jubilee, playing as short as 5,979 yards from the forward tees.
- Jubilee golf course in St. Andrews: Locals' stomping grounds and a championship links
- Didn't make the Old Course tee times lottery? Five last-minute plays around St. Andrews