St. Andrews, Fife | 18 holes | Links | Par: 72 | 6742 yards
On Sunday 22 June 1997, the Jubilee Course celebrated its centenary. In the space of 100 years, it had developed from a 12-hole basic layout into one of the toughest tests of golf at St Andrews.
Created on a narrow strip of land between the New Course and the sea, the Jubilee was originally a 12 hole course intended for ladies and beginners. It was the result of an initiative by the Town Council who had re-acquired the Links under the 1894 Links Act.
In March 1897 the Council gave the go-ahead to Mr. John Angus Jnr to lay out the course and have it ready to play in the current season for the princely sum of 178 pounds.
A week later he had 20 men working on site. The course was ready on 22 June, the date of a public holiday to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria's accession to the throne. A commemorative Jubilee Fountain was unveiled on the Links and the Jubilee course was officially opened by the wife of the Provost John Macgregor.
18 Holes: Around 1902 David Honeyman, Tom Morris' right hand man, suggested that it was possible to extend the course to 18 holes. This was done in 1905 at a cost of 150 pounds, but only after an agreement had been reached with the local Rifle and Artillery Volunteers to regulate play when target shooting was in progress at the rifle butts at the far end of the course.
Further Improvements: In 1938 the Council decided to make further improvements. They entrusted the supervision to the 1893 Open Champion, Willie Auchterlonie, who by then was honorary professional to the R&A.
The war years of 1939 to 1945, with their shortages of men and materials, slowed progress to a crawl. It was finally completed in June 1946 when Willie struck a ball from the first tee to open it.
The Jubilee was now 6,020 yards long and Willie modestly gave the credit for the improvements to the greenkeeping staff and commented that "..some day this will be a championship course".
A Championship Layout: In 1988 the re-design of the Jubilee to championship standard was carried out by Donald Steel of Cotton, Pennink, Steel & Partners, golf course architects. The teeing grounds were raised, not only providing wonderful views of the Links, but also exposing the golfers to the winds which sweep in from the bay. Mr. Steel's redesigned course was 6,805 yards and a real test for all golfers.
The course was officially opened when Curtis Strange, the US Open champion, drove a ball from the first tee in September 1989.
In 1993, the Jubilee was the venue for the Scottish Amateur Strokeplay Championship, finally vindicating Willie Auchterlonie's prediction.
Directions: Directions from Edinburgh and the south to St Andrews: Travel north on the M90 over the Forth Bridge. Leave the Motorway at Junction 3 and follow the A92 to its junction with the A914 north of Glenrothes. Take the A914 to the next roundabout, turn right and continue on the A91 through Cupar to St Andrews.
Par, yardages and course ratings
At same facility
At a glance
- Holes: 18
- Designed by: Donald Steel
- Style: Links
- Built in: 1897
- Golf Season: Low 11/1-3/31; High 4/1-10/31
- Visitor Policy: Welcomed
- Tee times welcomed: Yes
- Driving range: Yes
- Putting green: Yes
- Teaching pro: Yes
- Golf school / golf academy: Yes
- Pro: Yes
- Rental clubs: Yes
- Rental carts: Yes - medical certificate required
- Pull carts: Yes
- Week days: £35 - £70
- Weekends: £35 - £70
Fife KY16 9SF